29808: Emmanuelle Re : 29767: Mdmdread: (reply) Re: 29706: Pierre (Reply) Re: 29691: Urban (reply) Lance Durban's post of ... (fwd)

From: Emmanuelle Gilles <manugi28@yahoo.fr>

Yes, the word philanthropy exists in very languages and even in Haiti. What is needed is a well structured government that will establish trust in all sectors of Haitian society. What is also needed is a tradition of foundations that support philanthropic activities. Believe it - you don't know me - I have many ideas for the country and I see where I can be of help but I have no means - the same goes for major Haitians. If we are referring to rich people in Haiti , then we are talking about 5 families - no more. I also know many ordinary Haitians who have built schools and orphanages and have cared for many children from their own means and their communities - what is this called if not philanthropy. Perhaps we cannot talk about philanthropy in the same magnitude as the wealthy people in the States - there is no comparison.