29829: Loveayiti (reply) RE: 29796: Morse (response) Loveayiti re Miami (fwd)

From: Felix Edouard <loveayiti@hotmail.com>

 Dear Morse,

In reference to "Miami Cubans don't want Haitian coming in" I believe the
Miami Cubans are no different than any other immigrant group. They care
about their own and their own concerns. The are concerned about Castro
and the current "wet foot dry foot policy" which has sent some of their
brothers and sister back to Cuba when interdicted at sea. Unless
something dramatic happens with Haitians, we are simply irrelevant.
Venezulans and Brazilians are no different. Based on conversation with
influential Cubans in Miami. They are actually much more sensitive to the
Haitian "problem" than the white establishment. The policy of Haitian
refugees comes from Washington.

As far as the treatment of Haitian vs Cubans. Haitians are treated like
Mexicans, Dominicans, Nicaraguans, etc. Cubans are treated special. This
has more to do with the dynamics of the Cubans Diapora and US foreign
policy. The Cuban Diaspora is united. The generally agree that Castro is
evil  and nothing good can come from Cuba. Haitians are divided. Over the
past 20 years some will say we had democracy at various times other would
say the direct opposite. We are send so many mixed messages that they
"the establishment" has come to believe that we have no idea what we
want. Think about it....5 years ago I remember a protest in front of the
INS building in Miami. The crowd was filled with known Aristide
supporters  demanding TPS for Haitians. Who was President at the time in
Haiti? Aristide. How are people suppose to judge these action.

The second important difference. Cubans have become economically strong
and will use their "united" political clout to get what they want. They
own the largest companies in Miami and contribute millions to campaigns
and are solid voting block. Getting other Cubans elected to congess,
mayoral and other positions. Last year, in the most Haitian city in South
Florida , a haitian candidate lost to a "blan" because the haitian stated
fighting each and divied among the same political lines you see in Haiti.

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop.