29840: Weston (reply) Re: 29607: Vedrine (request): A look at the problem of schools in Haiti (fwd)

From: Jan Weston <Jan.Weston@vansd.org>

What a huge undertaking and long list!  I am sure you plan on grouping the issues and prioritizing them.  I have not been in Haiti since 1981 so I am not current on what is happening in education.  Here are a few comments:

clarification of roles/rights/responsibilities of Ministry of Education, educational regions/school districts, and individual schools

creation of a temporary emergency teaching certificate for education students who are close to finishing the requirements for their teaching license; in many states here it is good for one year at the end of which the teacher must be certificated

creation of 'sister schools' between Haitian schools K thru high school and schools in the Diaspora...Diaspora schools could do fundraisers, book drives, create reading materials for Haitian students, etc.

adoption of a "Professional Code of Conduct" for all levels of educators from the Minister to the custodial staff...This would outline behavior expectations and ethics in the field

examine the role of English as well as Creole and French

provide breakfast as well as lunch - research shows it is the most important meal of the day.  It can be simple, nutritious, and inexpensive

Based on a national census establish public schools depending on number of same age children in an area

Offer financial help to students majoring in education in return requiring them to teach in rural areas for a pre determined number of years.  Many developing countries do not let ed majors choose their major; based on the needs of their country, they are told what they will specialize in.

consider having Mondays/Tuesdays and Thursdays/Fridays as academic days.  Wednesdays would be no student attendance days but all other staff would be required to be at school for: teacher training (in building staff as well as outsiders), cross curricular meetings, subject area meetings, grade level meetings, etc.  Many schools and districts in Washington State have adopted this new schedule and find students and staff more focused, organized, and energized with "Working Wednesdays."
Another benefit is improved communication.  These schools still meet the required 180 school days per year either with a shorter summer break and added school days, or an extended school day or days.

Instill a sense of pride in all students by giving them some responsibility for maintaining and improving their school and grounds.  Many developing countries require students to clean, paint, do yard work at their school.  Many also have a school garden for which the students are responsible and from which they benefit!!!

I think your list of problems/needs is very thorough.  I hope you will offer concrete suggestions on how they may be addressed.  I have not read the first edition but I am assuming it contains data on test scores, number of graduates, average number of teacher/student ratio and so on; thus the need for a second more current edition.  I look forward to reading your second edition in Creole, French, or English!  I'm just curious if you are undertaking this solo or if you are working with other educators?  I wish you a wide readership in Haiti and abroad and CHANGE!!!  Jan Weston (Wortendyke when single in Haiti in the early 70s!)

Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu> 12/05/06 2:41 AM >>>

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

Dear All:
I am about to finish working on the 2nd. edition my book, "Yyn koudÃy sou
pwoblÃm lekÃl Ayitiâ  (A look at the problem of schools in Haiti. Observing the
problems that Haitian teachers have been facing, I have given away many copies
of that book (to help educators, literacy centers, teachers, libraries both in
Haiti and in the Diaspora). However, the first edition, published in 1994, is
almost out of print and I am pretty sure that those who have read it or have
not would have something to say about the problems that Haitian schools have
been facing. So, I would be more than happy if anyone can send their comments
/suggestions (to better the situation) related tm and see there they can be fitted in the research (for the second
edition). And hopefully, I will publish a free on-line CREOLE VERSION that will
be accessible to everyone, including teachers in Haiti as a good pedagogical
guide.

You may comment on the following:

1. A (mandatory) Bachelorâs degree for teachers teaching at secondary level
2. A curriculum that would reflects HAITIâS REALITY
3. A (mandatory) Masterâs degree for teachers teaching at University level
4. A new method to teach (at all levels)
5. Absence of labs in schools (for experimentation)
6. Activities for students during summer vacations
7. Annual budget of the Ministry of Education
8. A (mandatory) Baccalaureate Diploma for teachers to teach at the elementary
and middle school level
9. Teachersâ bad behaviors (vary)
10. Books for students in public schools (loan) and then return them at the end
of the quarter, semesterâ
11. Courses that would appear to be unnecessary in the schoolâs curriculum
12. Curricula (in general) â problem /suggestions (for improvement)
13. Curricula of the PRIVATE vs. PUBLIC SCHOOLS
14. For a solid Linguistics policy in schools in Haiti
15. For a synthesis of CURRICULA (Haiti, USA, Japan, Canada, Cuba, France,
etc.)
16. Free workshops for all teachers in public schools (free and from time to
time)
17. Importance for a âPRACTICAL EDUCATIONâ
18. Importance for a solid Teachersâ Union to protect and respect their rights
19. Importance for all students of baccalaureate level to participate in
literacy campaign for one year.
20. Importance for Haitian teachersâ togetherness (those in Haiti and in the
Diaspora)
21. Importance for the public schools (private also) to have FIELDTRIPS with
students (throughout thecountry), including taking them to the Dominican
Republic
22. Importance for the public schools to use FRIDAYS to do different activities
with students (throughout the country)
23. Importance to decentralize schools in Haiti (to be spread out)
24. Importance to have computer labs at all levels
25. Importance to have free lunch in PUBLIC SCHOOLS (to help students get a
meal)
26. Importance to import pedagogical ideas from other countries (that can be
applied to Haiti)
27. Lack of money to buy books
28. Lack of resources (mention what type)
29. Lack of space in public schools
30. Linguistic approach in teaching in Haiti
31. Long distance teaching (via the internet)
32. Making it mandatory for teachers of all levels to conduct and publish
research
33. Necessity to establish resource centers in each schools
34. Necessity to have a real CENTRAL LIBRARY, one that is well-equipped with
documentation, a computerized system
35. Observing schools in the Caribbeans ares (French Guyana, Guadeloupe,
Martinique â to compare them with Haiti
36. On students' punishment
37. Overlaod class size (public schools)
38. Preparing (students) for STATE EXAMS
39. Preparing teachers to teach (Teacherâs training)
40. Private vs. public schools (general)
41. Problem of too many schools concentrating in the countryâs capital
42. Problems with teaching methodology
43. Reason why many students canât go to school
44. Teaching Materials (elementary, middle, secondary and college level)
45. Tearchers not well paid
46. Techers' Re-training (and itâs importance)
47. The problem of MEMORIZATION vs. ASSIMILATION
48. The role of French and Creole in schools in Haiti
49. The role of the Minister of National education (to do a serious job)
50. Transportation problem students are facing (throughout the country)

etc.

Thanks in advance!
E.W.VEDRINE (Haitian Creole Editor & Translator)
P.O.Box 255110 - Boston, MA. 02125-5110(USA)
http://www.palli.ch/~kapeskreyol/bibliographie/vedrine.html

Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mr