29848: Emmanuelle Re : 29821: loveayiti ( Reply)RE: 29796: Morse (response) Miami (fwd)

From: Emmanuelle Gilles <manugi28@yahoo.fr>

I don't understand why they were detained since they were in possession of a valid US visa. In fact, they legally entered the United States. Why were they prisoners of the Homeland Security? If anything, they could have refused to let them stay in the United States, and send them back to Haiti rather than detaining them as their prisoners. This is a very sad story and I have read many of these types involving our people. What happened to Maxo, the son? what has happened next.? Was the body handed over to the family for burial? Edwige Danticat is an excellent writer and I heard much about her. This is very sad.
From your latest email, I don't think this is about Cuban vs. Haitian, this is
pure racism and human evil. Not so much different than the Louima case in New York except for the fact that there was no physical brutality but neglect. Not so much different than the treatment that the Dominicans are inflicting upon Haitian sugar cane cutters. These are inhuman hatred acts towards not only a Haitian man and his son but towards the whole nation of Haiti, based on generalized ethnic prejudices. When the nation hears this story, it should grieve. It should also bear the responsibility for not creating enough safety for people like Danticat to live in peace in his homeland without the humiliation of US homeland security officials.