29847: potemaksonje (news) Non-Violence in Cite Soleil (fwd)

From: Potemaksonje@yahoo.com

***Non-Violent Activism in Cite Soleil***
From AUMODH and HURAH

Hello Friends,

The 50mm machine gun confiscated on Dec. 22 by residents of Cité Soleil from a disabled UN armored car was turned over peacefully to the UN Jan. 12 as the people manifested for just treatment from the UN, no more military incursions, reparation for the loss of life and damage of property resulting from these incursions like the one on Dec. 22. This return of such a powerful and frightening weapon was a real sign of a will among the people to work non-violently toward a real peace with justice.

AUMOHD, our human rights partner, played a key role in this negotiation. AUMOHD established a grass-roots group, the Cité Soleil Community Human Rights Council (CHRC) several years ago out of the many victims of political persecution, people jailed without arrests or trials, street kids piled up in local jails, and so many other poor folk who don't have the means for any legal representation. The Cité Soleil CHRC has gained more visibility now as a peaceful, neutral, non-partisan force for advocating for human rights, and as a result it has creating more hope for resolving conflicts, peacefully.

Such a grossly destructive machine doesn't have any place in any residential neighborhood no matter what the nature of any alleged crime, but certainly not in a densely populated area of very poor people. The UN definitely has never introduced it in rich neighborhoods along with the other warlike tactics we've seen in Cité Soleil.

Those who confiscated the machine gun could have destroyed it, or worse still, could have used it in counterattacks, escalating the assault first brought on by the UN. Notwithstanding the label of "bandit" given to those targeted with such weapons, these people along with other residents of Cité Soleil, with the support of AUMOHD, demonstrated a higher level of morality by returning the machine gun at the same time as they continued to stake their claims for justice in their land. Human rights groups like the CEDH and the people of the Group of 184 have denounced the Préval administration for being soft on criminals, for negotiating with them. While it remains to be seen whether the targets of the recent UN/PNH hard action were indeed criminals and whether blasting them away resulted in any real justice, we do have the return of the machine gun by residents of the same community that was attacked so violently as a concrete example of how conflicts can be resolved,
 non-violently.

AUMOHD and Hurah are working on promoting a non-violent grouping of individuals and organizations who can assist in the hard work of dealing with violent conflicts. We have had a very positive meeting with a representative of Prime Minister Alexis and we have pledged to help them pursue their agenda of non-violent conflict resolution. We want to counteract the pressure they are receiving as reported widely in the press. The individuals we met with participated in the Raboteau trials and have the same vision for Haiti now. They support a just resolution of the War by Proxy that has played itself out so mercilessly in Grand Ravine.

In my second week here on the ground in Haiti I continue to find myself surrounded by peace-loving, justice-seeking people. The Haiti I travel in is safe, beautiful, and in spite of the poverty and persecution, worth a visit.

     Sincerely,

        Tom Luce

--
Tom Luce, President
Hurah, Inc. - Human Rights Accompaniment In Haiti

To donate (tax exempt org 501(c)(3))
Joan Rae, Treasurer
P.O. Box 418
Fayston, Vt. 05673 or