29852: Edouard (reply) loveayiti (reply) RE: 29848: Emmanuelle Re : 29821: (fwd)

From: Felix Edouard <loveayiti@hotmail.com>

The US government gives a long explanation of their actions at

http://www.dhs.gov/xoig/assets/OIG_foia_dantica.pdf - inspector general
report

Somehow I think if this man was not related to Edwidge Danticat (her and
her husband are well respected in Miami) ...the report would have been
much shorter. The government claims the reason he was detained was due
to requested asylum and per policy and law, the subject must be detained
to determine credible fear.  To me this is ridiculous as Dantica held a
valid visa. If this is the law, it should be changed. It gives people
incentive to enter the country first and than request asylum
(essentially, lie to immigration at the airport). He told the truth and
was shipped to Krome.

Would this happen to a Cuban?...No way. Because, they have money, power,
influence and united. Haitians are poor, black  and divided.  If Dantica
had been Cuban, a US congressman would have been at Krome demanding his
release. Dantica had a private attorney (possily doing pro bono work) and
a non-profit speaking for him (whcih is more than a typical haitian
refugee).

.

Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page