29863: Leiderman: geography: Navassa Island (fwd)

From: leiderman@mindspring.com

dear Readers:

while looking for a boat to hire for a coastal cruise of Haiti, I found several citations about Navassa, a limestone atoll that lies 35 miles west of Cape Tiburon, Haiti:

<http://www.hwn.org/ftpshare/pub/navassa_island_91.jpg> <http://denali.gsfc.nasa.gov/islands/navassa/> and <http://denali.gsfc.nasa.gov/navassa/>
<http://business.fortunecity.com/ziff/739/navassa/owner.html>
<http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/haddock/haddo95.jpg>

<http://www.doi.gov/oia/Islandpages/navassamain.htm>
"History -- Navassa became a U.S. insular area in October 1857, when a representative of the Baltimore Fertilizer Company took possession of the island in the name of the United States pursuant to the Guano Act of August 18, 1856 (Title 48, U.S. Code, sections 1411-19). In 1889 the islandâs actual operation passed to the Navassa Phosphate Company. All operations were abandoned in 1898, when the island became effectively uninhabited..."  [Contact: Mr. Val Urban, Project Leader, Caribbean Islands Refuges U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Post Office Box 510 Boqueron, Puerto Rico 00622 Telephone: (787) 851-7258 Fax: (787) 851-7440 E-mail address: val_urban@fws.gov]

in 1999, Navassa became a US wildlife refuge, and recently was the subject of a scientific survey.  an illustrated record of ot is posted at:
<http://www.ccfhr.noaa.gov/stressors/resources/navassa-cruise-2006/>

meanwhile, I am still looking for a charter boat for a coastal cruise of Haiti, something large enough for several dozen passengers, with full accommodations.

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman

leiderman@mindspring.com