=?x-unknown?q?29917=3A__Potemaksonje_=28News=29_Cit=E9_Soleil?==?x-unknown?q?_Under_Constant_Attack_=28fwd=29?=

From Potemaksonje

http://www.haitianalysis.com/2007/1/26/cite-soleil-under-constant-attack
January 26th, 2007Cite Soleil Under Constant Attack

By: Wadner Pierre - haitianalysis.com

At least six people were wounded Wednesday, January 24, 2006 following an operation by the U.N. peace-keeping force (MINUSTAH). One victim, attended to immediately by Doctors Without Borders, says she was hit by stray bullets according to the daily newspaper the Short Story Writer.

It was 2:00 pm, hours after the assault, when I arrived on the scene. MINUSTAH soldiers, primarily Brazilians, occupy an old school at the entry to the Boston district - their principal target that morning. In the tap taps, people were visibly afraid.

When asked to explain their fear, they answered: “We are afraid, because we do not know when the soldiers of the occupying force will fire and in which direction.” A resident of New Wood Road by the name of Frantz E., member of the Committee of Notables for the Development of Cite Soleil (CONODES), told journalists

“The soldiers want to kill us. We do not have anything against them. We only want that they leave the country. Boston we already counted more than 5 wounded this morning, I believe that there were also deaths, because it is at the population of Boston that the soldiers fired their weapons. We thank President Preval for this reward, because it is the benefit of our votes of February 7, 2006. Whether it is taken care or not President Aristide must return to the country. He alone knows our pain and he can help us to leave this mud pit. ”

A public building in Cite Soleil is a large base for MINUSTAH soldiers, mainly Brazilians. Only pedestrains, MINUSTAH's armoured vehicles, and the jeeps of the NGOs [Non Governmnetal Organizations] are allowed near the base. Other vehilces are prohibited. I showed a MINUSTAH soldier my press badge but, with a gesture that involved pointing his weapon at me, I was refused permission to photograph armoured vehilces.

“Rout Nèf” is the principal road that leads in and out of the New Bois district. It is used exclusively By MINUSTAH (and MINUSTAH authorized NGOs) for access to the northern districts of Cite Soleil. The people are clearly tired of running for their lives every time MINUSTAH's vehicles approach. One often hears people remark "When will our misery end?"

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.