29959: Leiderman (reply) , re 29954 Lucas editorial -- (opinion) silence of the elite (fwd)

From: leiderman@mindspring.com

dear Readers:

 I disagree with Dr. Lucas' editorial.  it seems to be purely supply-side
 economics and does not mention, touch or intend to change what I
 understand to be the extreme social stratification of Haiti that allows
 relatively few people to accumulate and enjoy the country's resources and
 privileges to the detriment of all other Haitians.  in other words,
 Haiti's problem could be greed, not poverty.  but (sssh!) that's what
 revolutions are about.

 at the same time, I acknowledge that what I know about Haiti's social
 stratification is anecdotal, over more than ten years.  I would like to
 read an authoritative description, history and analysis; I would like to
 see names named, land ownership charted, incomes disclosed, and so on.
 this could lead to major tax reform and, in turn, provide what's needed
 for legitimate, not ad hoc, poverty reduction.  until then, the silence
 of the lambs is matched by the silence of the elite.

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman
leiderman@mindspring.com