29963: RE: Vedrine (reply) In need of information on literacy in Haiti (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

It’s not going to be easy to find REAL STATISTICS on the subject. Everything would be based, at least, on some research that was done some twenty years ago (or even further back), and I’ve have clearly stated it in my latest research (2007) related to this subject ("A look at the problem of schools in Haiti" - http://potomitan.info/vedrine/koudey.php#a). Most data would read “15% to 20% of the population is literate. But with no CLEAR INDICATION( e.g: literate in what language (French, Creole)? What’s that LITERACY level?, etc.). So down the road in the research, you’ll find some of these guesses. And some people are confused when using the term (LITERACY), thinking that being able to read /write a person's name and being able to write down some numbers means "literacy" …

Best,
E.W.VEDRINE (Editor & Translator)
P.O.Box 255110
Boston, MA. 02125-5110 (USA)