29972: Morse (Comment) Reflections From The Red Zone (fwd)

 oloffsonram@aol.com

A friend of mine wrote me after my most recent post and asked me if I was accusing President Preval and his then wife of attempting to murder me. Frankly, I never suspected Preval. My first suspect was Manno Charlemagne, who had been threatening me regularly over the Haitian airwaves saying he was going to come over to the hotel with his guns. He threatened me so much that two police came privately to the hotel to try a get a reading on the situation. I told them I would be OK. Manno soon left the country. Another friend of mine, who was also a good friend of Mr Charlemagne told me it wasn't Manno who was behind the Carnival incident. I believed her, for no other reason than she had no reason to lie.

I let things slide for a year or two and one morning a policeman came by (I had baptized one of his children) and I could tell he wanted to talk. I ordered us both a beer (10am!), and we began to talk. We talked about the Jean Dominique assasination, we talked about the carnival incident and a few other things. He told me all those orders come from the same place, "Tabarre". I said "Jean Dominique?", he nodded "yes". I asked again, "The carnival incident?", once again he nodded "yes". Ah yes the Lord of Tabarre. Ruler of All. Mr Monopoly.

My relations with Preval are cordial. I asked him to run for President. I told him it was his obligation and responsibility. I told him he was the man for the moment. I then had 25 meetings in Washington (Pentagon, State Department, Congress) and I told people that Preval was the man for the moment. They replied that he wasn't even a candidate. I told them he would win in the first round. I also talked to Lavalas people and told them Preval was the man. I talked to all kinds of people. At first they looked at me like I was a nut. Eventually people came around. At least 51 percent did. Not that I had anything to do with the Preval presidential victory, I just predicted it early.

Haiti has an opportunity to move forward. We've had these opportunities in the past, and I hope we'll continue to have them, hopefully with a little less intrigue.....