30002: McElroy (ask) Re: Taino-Themed Carvings (fwd)

From: Louis Mcelroy <loumcelroy@earthlink.net>

[Please write Louis directly.  He is not a list member.  Thanks,  Bob]

Request for Advice

A friend if mine in Denver owns two carved Indian figures. The person she
bought them from told her they were Haitian Indian. They are about 3' tall,
with head dresses similar to American Indian feather bonnets, swept back.
When I first saw them, they resembled American cigar store Indians.

The wood does appear to be Haitian mahogany, with the almost random
coloration. Very beautiful wood.

They may not be a pair, since one is taller.  They each carry spears and
look quite formidable. Her understanding is that they represented "village
guardians."

They couldn't be 400 years old, but they are certainly not brand new, and
not at all the tourista type art, due to their size.

If you can help us pin down the actual origin of the figures, we would
appreciate any pointers.

Thank You,

Lou McElroy