30016: Leiderman: re 30011 (opinion) masked Haitian activists in America? (fwd)

From: leiderman@mindspring.com

dear Readers:

I like Haiti Action Committee's criticism of NYTimes' Haiti coverage and its call for letters to the editor, but I don't like that there's no person's name attached to this post.  nor is there a name at <http://www.haitiaction.net/About.html> that only says, "The Haiti Action Committee is a San Francisco Bay Area-based network of activists in the USA who have supported the Haitian struggle for democracy since 1991. Members foster extensive contacts with the grassroots movements in Haiti.  We also wish to link journalists who want to hear an alternative viewpoint with sources both in Haiti and in the United States.  As a fledgling, self-financed committee, the HAC relies on your support to be able to continue distributing information like this. Your generosity will determine ultimately how widely we get the word out.  snail mail to: HAC, PO Box 2218, Berkeley, CA 94702  E-mail contact: info@haitiaction.org  Phone: 510-483-7481"

two comments: 1. HAC's Aristide-partisanship distracts from the criticism NYTimes deserves; invoking Aristide unnecessarily in this way will probably discourage potential letter-writers.  2. 1991 to 2007 is far past a "fledgling" organization.  who are these masked activists?

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman
leiderman@mindspring.com