30035: pershing Re: 30033: Deibert (response) Ferdinand on Martissant (fwd)

From: tjpershing@aol.com

The following is from the LA times last June- Perhaps Mr. Deibert, who's own work tends to reflect the journalistic trend of dwelling on the negatives (at least what I have read), might produce some work accentuating just things he champions- since the LA Times published this letter perhaps he can query them on something refective of the positives- but given the market realities I wouldn't bet on it- at least all my attempts at just such work has been rejected in the past. I once queried (late 80's) Natural Hisitory Magazine on doing a story on Haiti's endangered, endemic and migrational wildlife (amphibians, plants and birds on Pic Macaya- American Crocodile and flamingo in Etang Sumatre, Manatee on the coast, nesting grounds of the endangered black capped storm petral on the cliffs of the Morne de la Salle, wintering perigrin falcon etc.) I recieved a rejection from the editor stating that "our sources say there is no wildlife in Haiti". Have at it.

A fuller view of Haiti
June 30, 2006

Re "Haiti Makes Best of a Tenuous Peace," June 26

The vast majority of Haiti is safe and delightfully rich in physical and cultural beauty, while tragically poor and environmentally degraded.

Only by addressing the country as a whole and taking advantage of its beauty and capabilities with long-term approaches will Haiti rejoin the ranks of stable, functioning states.

The Times should shed some light on the realities of the Artibonite, Cap Haitian, Jeremie, Les Cayes and Jacmel.

Readers might be surprised to see that the Haiti outside the slums of Port au Prince is a fascinating, beautiful, accessible place worth our aid and attentions â and in desperate need of both.

TIMOTHY J. PERSHING