30034: Re: 30028 Luce (comment) Reply to Michael Deibert (fwd)

From: Tom Luce <hurah_inc@riseup.net>

From Tom Luce, President, Hurah, Inc.

Dear Michael et al,

O.K., I didn't follow basic non-violent communication rules when I asked you to stop supporting the war by proxy. So I have to take in stride the heap of ad hominem attacks and gratuitous charges of fabrication that you have heaped on me. Instead of joining the cyberspace annals of endless and pointless "pro-Aristide/anti-Aristide" harangues though, I am coming back again to ask you to consider joining the non-violent peace and reconciliation movement in Haiti. My intent is to engage you in a positive, transformative dialog toward supporting all our Haitian friends who want a lasting, just peace based on truth telling and restoration of civil society. I have a specific question of fact for you later on.

But first, my mention of Fr. Max Dominique was a signal to you and others who might suspect my sources on recent Haitian history. In Fr. Max I had a long trusted source in my quest for finding out what went wrong with the Aristide agenda to eradicate the poverty and oppression of the majority of Haitians. Father Max and I were more than just two bodies attending the Gregorian University in Rome with thousands of others from 1960 to 1964. We became officers in a revolutionary (for the Jesuits at that time) student body--Vita Nostra-- that wanted to give students (graduate theology students, not undergrads) a role in how the university operated. We never worked together again after our Rome days until 2004. In June, 2004, Fr. Max was ill but still on the job. We had a wonderful reunion. We exchanged news and our own histories in working for the poor, his far more exacting than mine, in the Central African Republic and then in the Bahamas working with Haitian refugees. We agreed to build on our past and seek to build whatever we could to help the cause for the poor in Haiti. He was open and welcoming to the first young political prisoner that had been had liberated from the National Penitentiary through the joint efforts of AUMOHD and Hurah, Inc., an alleged chimère, but someone totally misjudged who is now doing exemplary work promoting justice for the poor himself--non-violently. Fr. Max told me exactly what he had said in Pres. Aristide's presence at Fr. Adrien's funeral. I asked him if he had wanted the coup and the subsequent chaos. His stand had been for resignation. He replied "no" with a shrug of resignation. Unfortunately for everyone Fr. Max's health deteriorated quickly. I last visited him in August of 05 in the hospital where he was barely able to talk. We said goodbye and I knew then that an authentic part of me was lost forever. I have a specific, crucial question for you. Have you written up the details of your 2006 visit to Ti Bois that you talk about? Can you be more specific about the torched homes and the refugees, where they lived, why they were victimized? I have never heard of any other attack in the summer of 2006 than the July 7th massacre in Grand Ravine. Why haven't you mentioned this July 7th attack in your writings? Are you saying there was another house torching in Ti Bois that summer? Esterne Bruner whom you say you interviewed then was the coordinator of AUMOHD's Community Human Rights Council in Grand Ravine, not Ti Bois. On Sept. 3, 2006 I walked with "Bruner" over every inch of the Grand Ravine territory where 300+ homes had been torched. I talked with the refugees of this attack. Esterne was assassinated on Sept. 21 because he was seeking non-violent solutions. I think the people involved deserve to get the facts straight. Because I've advocated for Lavalas identified people you have put me into a quite despicable group of people who use the "bodies of the dead to score political points" and those who have a "fetish" relationship to Lavalas. I am confident, though, of my neutrality. I am comfortable that my advocating for human rights for the poor demands my attention to Lavalas victims. I am aware of the deep rifts among those committed to the poor in Haiti, that something seriously went wrong with the Lavalas movement. But I am also well aware that something is seriously wrong with other sectors of Haitian society. The war by proxy against the poor is still on. The continuance of bullets instead of ballots for influencing policy is mind boggling. The avoidance of dealing with or even acknowledging the killings, the blatant persecution, illegal imprisonment and detention, this is sheer madness and irresponsibility. Please allow me to invite you once again to move together in the direction of non-partisan efforts to get at the facts and a just peace through a credible system of truth and reconciliation. AUMOHD and Hurah have supported the neighbors of Ti Bois, Martissant, Grand Ravine and others as well in Cité Soleil, Simon Pele and Croix-des-Bouquets, to get together and work out a peaceable solution to the war by proxy they have been cruelly dragged into. The people you cite as victims from Ti Bois need your help as AUMOHD has given them to throw off the warmongers from their backs, to get involved in non-violent conflict resolution. This does demand a truth-telling, not lashing out with general laments about "gross violations", but verified cases apt for a reconciliation commission, and definitely not vengeance killing that compounds matters. I especially invite you to go to PetitionSpot <http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/stopdeadlyUNattacks> and study the petition of the newly formed Haitian Non-violent, Non-partisan Coalition (HNVNPC) that is demanding a ceasefire and a Haitian-designed and controlled DDR program. Yes, you'll find my name on the list of supporters along with two other "stateside" groups. But the majority of these groups are Haitian born and bred, practitioners of non-violence, living and/or working in Cité Soleil and from Grand Ravin/Martissant as well. You'll be most welcome!

    Thank you.

--
Tom Luce, President
Hurah, Inc. - Human Rights Accompaniment In Haiti

To donate (tax exempt org 501(c)(3))
Joan Rae, Treasurer
P.O. Box 418
Fayston, Vt. 05673 or