30065: Hermantin(News)S. Florida minister and rabbi join to help Haiti's AIDS orphans (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

S. Florida minister and rabbi join to help Haiti's AIDS orphans

By Tim Collie
South Florida Sun-Sentinel

February 19, 2007

HOLLYWOOD -- Inspired by a Hollywood man single-handedly supporting Haitian orphans, a minister and a rabbi are leading a Christian-Jewish delegation to Haiti next month to see how they can rescue children left homeless by HIV/AIDS.

The Rev. Kennedy McGowan, of First Presbyterian Church, and Rabbi Allan C. Tuffs, of Temple Beth El, hope their four-day mission will result in the sponsorship of one or more orphanages in Haiti, which has one of the highest rates of HIV infection in the world.

Both became aware of the situation in Haiti after reading the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's four-part series, "AIDS Orphans," which was published in November and December.

Among other efforts, the project profiled the work of Aaron Jackson, 24, an activist with the Homeless Voice organization in Hollywood who has established two small orphanages in Haiti.

Two members of McGowan's congregation have already visited Haiti for a firsthand look at Jackson's work. Jackson also has spoken with members of Temple Beth El.

"These children could have been any one of us. They were just unlucky enough to be born in these circumstances," said Sharon Tanenhaus, who will be making the trip as head of the temple's social action committee. "They were born into the world innocent, and I think that's affected everyone who became aware of Aaron's work.

"Although Aaron Jackson is not Jewish and doesn't know the meaning of tikkun olum [a Hebrew term that means to "repair the world"], he is living it every day," Tanenhaus wrote on the synagogue's Web site after meeting Jackson.

About eight people from the synagogue and church are scheduled to depart on March 5 and return on March 8. They plan to visit orphanages, charities and hospitals in the Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince, and its surrounding slums, where people live on as little as $1 a day with no access to medical care.

"We know we can't save everyone, but if you can look back a year from now and say that because of your efforts 10 children are alive who wouldn't be, well, that's an incredible result for a church," said McGowan, who has been minister at the church for just 11 months.

The interfaith partnership is the result of conversations between the rabbi and minister, who want to steer their respective congregations toward greater social action. McGowan had been discussing a mission to Africa with his church elders when he read the Sun-Sentinel's series.

Gerald Little, a Miami-Dade County firefighter, and his wife, Kelly, hopped on a plane several weeks after hearing about Jackson's work during a Sun-Sentinel presentation at the church. They flew to the nation in January to visit the orphanages and the slums, where he found many children living on the streets or in shanties with sick mothers.

"I wanted to get a look for myself at what Aaron was doing, whether he was the real thing or not," said Little, 35, who had done charity work with Haitian students in Miami but had never visited the country. "I can tell you the orphanages he has are just amazing. I was just really surprised at how well-behaved the children were, how they helped each other going to school."

Little and his wife were shocked by the poverty.

"The air down there, I can tell you, is really toxic with fires and trash and dust and everything else down there just blowing around," Little said. "The poverty is immense, and I can tell you these kids on the street aren't going to live very long breathing all of that pollution in these slums."

But the sight of the children at Jackson's orphanage showed them what could be accomplished with few resources.

"You see these kids, how happy they are in the orphanage, and then you realize everything they've been through," Little said. "It just tugs at your heart. Right then and there, my wife and I realized we just had to do something, that now was the time."

McGowan hopes that type of spirit spreads through his congregation. After attending a meeting last year in which rock star Bono issued a call to churches to engage more fully in the world AIDS crisis, McGowan started a series of sermons and discussions with congregants on how to make First Presbyterian a church that would have a major impact in Hollywood.

"We know there's a huge, very serious problem in Haiti, and what we want to find out on this trip is what's the best way we can help," said Tuffs, the rabbi. "I can tell you from conversations I've had here with children and the adults, people are chomping at the bit to help."

Staff Writer Tim Collie can be reached at tcollie@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-457.

With tax season right around the corner, make sure to follow these few simple tips. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMFebtagline