30072: Bick: (reply) RE: 30070: Kathleen (ask)Fine time in Jacmel for Carnival (fwd)

From:  Paul Bick - pbick2@uic.edu

Hmmm... "a touristic oasis in the bowels of hell..." Why not just admit that hell itself is the attraction? "Misery Safaris" in bullet-proof pope-mobiles through Cite Soleil offer the potential for a far more lucrative return these days than some half-baked, dime-a-dozen Jamaica wannabe in the south...

Authentic, self-congratulatory identity make-overs free with every purchase!

Although I would very much enjoy a wet t-shirt contest at Carlos 'N Charlies in Okay, or some jello shots at Senor Frogs in Port a Pima, let's face it, self-righteous pseudo-heroism is what sells these days - just ask Angelina!

If we're going to exploit, why not be honest about it? Its not about the beaches...

Paul Bick
Department of Anthropology
The University of Illinois at Chicago
1007 West Harrison Street