30079: Re: 30071: Leiderman (info) re: 30065 -- where's the welcome wagon? (fwd)

From: loccm@aol.com

I agree with you that in many instances it seems that the powers that be, in Haiti seem more intent on discouraging groups trying to aid the poor and suffering, than trying to assist them in any way. I escorted a group of doctors from Canada who brought with them several large cartons of medicine worth tens of thousands of dollars. The medicine was provided by an international well recognized group that sends these cartons to countries that need them, all over the world. The doctors personally paid about ten cents on the dollar for the meds. In spite of the fact that all the paperwork was in order and we were met at the airport by a Haitian doctor, all the meds were confiscated and held until I personally paid the ransom. I was too embarrassed to ask the doctors for the money, but they saw what happened. The medicine was taken to a large hospital and given away free. I have been to Haiti 193 times since 1971 and see well dressed politicians greeted as they deplane and are escorted to the VIP room. These doctors, were instead insulted and treated like smugglers. They held clinics at Mt Cabrit, Titianne, Archaie, Williamson and other more remote locations treating more than 100 patients a day and providing medicine at no charge. They have never returned to Haiti and I don't blame them. I am not a Haitian but plan to be in Haiti the first of March and will be happy to meet them and provide transportation. If they need a vehicle and driver, I will provide them free as well. If they need sleeping accommodations, my house has eight bedrooms and four bathrooms. It is 15 minutes from the airport and they are welcome to stay as long as they wish at no charge. My cook will prepare meals if they would like her to. I do not know this group or how to contact them but if you think that they will be interested. please contact me. John BamWen

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The information in this email, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this transmission in error; any review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of the contents of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and delete this message and all of its attachments. When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this email, including any attachments, are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in our client engagement letter. Any medical information should not be construed as personal advice, but should be evaluated by a client’s competent physician.