30104: Haitian grassroots activist So An in Oakland March 10 (fwd)

From: haiti action <action.haiti@gmail.com>

March 10, 2007, Resistance, Solidarity and Song: Bay Area welcomes Haitian
grassroots activist "So An"

 *"I send you all my blessings as a free Haitian woman fighting for the
rights of the impoverished majority in my homeland. They may imprison my
body but they will never imprison the truth I know in my soul. I will
continue to fight for justice and truth in Haiti until I draw my last
breath."* - Annette Auguste, Petionville Penitentiary, Port-au-Prince,
Haiti, May 23, 2004

Six months ago, grassroots activist and singer Annette Auguste, known as So
An, won her release from a Haitian jail over two years after her violent
arrest by US Marines on Mother's Day, 2004 during Haiti's US-backed coup
d'etat.

Weekly grassroots mobilizations in Haiti called for her freedom and her
courageous resistance won widespread international support. Her consistent
message was, "I am in jail for no other reason than I am perceived as a
leader and member of Fanmi Lavalas. I am in jail because I was defending the
vote the people of Haiti gave to Jean-Bertrand Aristide in the elections of
November 26, 2000."

Since her release, So An has fought tirelessly to advocate for the release
of hundreds of Haiti's political prisoners, to denounce ongoing UN military
ssaults on Haitian popular neighborhoods and to sustain her community under
the US/UN occupation.

Join Haiti Action Committee in welcoming this courageous Haitian leader to
the Bay Area!

*Saturday , March 10th, 7PM*

**
*Pierre Labossiere, Haiti Action Committee*

*Annette Auguste, Haitian activist, ex-political prisoner, musician*

*MUSIC by **Vukani Mawethu, Freedom Song Choir*

*LOCATION: The Uptown, 401 Twenty Sixth Street, Oakland [Between Telegraph
and Broadway. Six blocks north of 19th Street BART]*

*DONATION: $5-50 no one turned away for lack of funds. **For more
information, phone (510) 483-7481*

*SAVE THE DATE: March 14th, powerful new film by Kevin Pina at Grand Lake
Theatre -- "We Must Kill The Bandits."*