30121: Deibert (comment) MINUSTAH and St. Marc? (fwd)

From: Michael Deibert <michaeldeibert@gmail.com>

 I find it curious that, in most instances, a certain current of political
thought denounces the UN mission in Haiti as a bunch of bloodthirsty killers
and villains, but on the matter of the massacre in Saint Marc (which
occurred before the UN mission even existed and most of its personnel were
even in the country), they are to be taken as the ultimate arbiters of
truth, more so than the journalists who were actually in Haiti, interviewing
people in Kreyol and seeing what transpired with their own eyes.

MINUSTAH has some fine people working for it, and some not-so-fine people,
but if there's one thing traipsing Haiti from stem to stern in tap-taps and
taxis over the last decade has taught me, it's that it's awfully difficult
to tell what's going on at ground-level from inside an air-conditioned SUV.
Probably even more so from behind a computer screen thousands of miles away.

Michael Deibert