30118: Hermanitn(News)Florida mansion builder helps Haitians get basic shelter (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Sat, Mar. 03, 2007
Florida mansion builder helps Haitians get basic shelter
By KELLI KENNEDY

Trudging through muddy sewer water, Frank McKinney sidesteps a pig wandering aimlessly through this destitute neighborhood, passing two dozen children with bloated bellies. He pauses to give a stuffed toy to a young girl in a yellow dress.

He doesn't grimace at the stench, but seems pained when he learns the children fish through the water scavenging for crabs to eat or sell. There is no electricity or running water in this makeshift village built on a garbage dump.

A day later, the developer entertained billionaires interested in his $135 million home near Palm Beach, Fla., renting a red carpet, a Bentley with diamond encrusted wheels and models wearing fruit.

The multimillionaire who is building one of the most expensive homes in the U.S. is also one of Haiti's benefactors - he's already commissioned four villages for the poor, including one for those living in the garbage dump, and is planning two more this year. The homes are given free.

"It's taken a lot of work to be able to understand I can live in both words," said McKinney, 43. "I train myself to understand that this is part of the stewardship. I'm not in this to feel good. It's all part of the calling."

The mansion - complete with a combination shark tank-swimming pool, bowling alley, and ceiling aquarium that snakes into a wet bar - is the 32nd multimillion dollar project for the Delray Beach developer. It is worlds away from the simple $5,000 homes he builds in Haiti.

His life is full of dichotomies, though he seems to move with grace between them.

Costumed in a black cape and mask for the unveiling of his $20 million house in 2005, he rode down a zip line and successfully dueled an evil invader before a dramatic fireworks show. The home sold a few weeks later.

"Never losing the little boy inside really keeps one in touch with creativity," said McKinney, whose office is an elaborate two-story tree house with an oceanfront view.

He is eccentric, but not ostentatious. He'll compete in the 135-mile Badwater marathon in Death Valley for the third time later this year. Though he garners about 17 percent from the home sales, he drives a 2002 Honda hybrid, walks his 8-year-old daughter to school daily and attends church every Sunday.

He practices "exercising my risk threshold like a muscle," building the multimillion dollar homes on spec, despite Florida's often fickle real estate market.

Sporting a teased blond mane reminiscent of a 1980s rocker, McKinney is somewhat of a rock star in the real estate world. He brokers that celebrity status to raise money for his Haiti projects.

When McKinney went on a nationwide book tour for his second book, investors could join him for eight-hour legs of the journey if they donated money to "The Caring House Project Foundation."

"He's really a modern day Robin Hood," said St. Louis real-estate investor Marlene Trice, who also accompanied McKinney on a recent visit to Haiti to see the village she helped fund. "He creates a huge amount of wealth in everything that he does and then turns it and gives it back to the communities that don't have any."

McKinney, who would not disclose his net worth, initially tried building for the local homeless, but was stalled by government red tape and quickly realized he could build homes cheaper and faster in one of the poorest and most violent countries in the Western Hemisphere. The villages cost between $400,000 and $500,000 to build.

To the Haitian children, he is seen as the Beanie Baby man and on a recent trip has jammed 750 into backpacks that he passed out after the village's dedication ceremony.

Dressed in a tattered denim shirt, faded camouflage pants and a straw hat, crowds of school children in crisp white and blue uniforms held out their hands to him in earnest. They followed him through the dusty paths as he toured the two-room white concrete homes with freshly painted red doors. During a muggy dedication ceremony and church service, the children sang for him in Creole, their crisp white bows bouncing as they danced and clapped.

Normally talkative, McKinney was silent for much of the trip as he toured the Ange Village, which includes homes for 30 families, a community center, medical clinic, school, orphanage and acres of farm land with goats and chickens so the village can be self-sufficient. More homes, a soccer field and tilapia pond are slated for Phase 2.

"This is the best thing that ever happened to me," said Jean Louis, 47, who lives in another village McKinney built in Cap Haitien with his wife and five children. "This home makes me feel safe. No one will ever kick me out again."

Surrounded by lush green mountains and not far from the coast, McKinney noted the landscape would be prime real estate anywhere else than this violent country studded with pock marked, garbage strewn roads.

With him were 12 other real estate investors from around the country who have contributed to his projects. He's hoping the abject poverty will inspire them to larger donations.

The day after the trip, he received an e-mail from Pittsburgh real estate investor Jim Toner, who pledged to give $100,000 this year. Robyn Thompson, who donated $160,000 for the orphanages last year, says she is also interested in paying the teachers who work at the village's school.

On the way back to the airport, as children pressed their faces against the bus windows hoping for handouts, McKinney said he is eager to begin work on the next village - slated for the Haiti-Dominican Republic border.

For now, he boarded a plane home, to walk a red carpet and smile for the billionaires.

"My wife says we build the big houses so we can build a lot of smaller ones."

© 2007 Miami Herald Media Company. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miamiherald.com

The average US Credit Score is 675. The cost to see yours: $0 by Experian. http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=660600&bcd=EMAILFOOTERAVERAGE