30128: Paul comments: 30121: Deibert (comment) MINUSTAH and St. Marc? (fwd)

From Paultrouillot@hotmail.com

You are right about Minustah. Some are very fine people doing great work.
Haiti has been a difficult mission for the UN since the beginning with only little legitimacy. History shows that whenever a UN peace keeping intervention is not seen as legitimate by more than 50% of the population, their operations are always chaotic and most of the time unsuccessful.
There is a great book about that.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/United-Nations-Since-1945-Peacekeeping/dp/0582356733

Now the UN is needed and Preval has asked them to stay so we should respect his decision.. That does not mean that we should not make the UN accountable for their behaviour and make sure they act within the UN rules of engagement. Civilians have to be spared.

"it's that it's awfully difficult
to tell what's going on at ground-level from inside an air-conditioned SUV.
Probably even more so from behind a computer screen thousands of miles away.