30129: Bick (reply) RE: 30126: Karshan re: Aristide and Corbett list (fwd)

from: paulbick@msn.com

I absolutely agree, Ms Karshan!

Not only does this...Aristide-as-secret-lurker notion way overstate the indispensibility of Corbet-discourse as THE source for 'what's happening in Haiti,' but its an old habit of the Relief and Repair class to mis-judge its finger-on-the-pulse closeness to the center of the action - not just in Haiti but everywhere. We think we're pretty hip. But, when you think about it..what difference could it possibly make to Aristide what the various off-shore academics, NGO-types, ex-pats (both ways), odd-balls, missionaries, random Haiti-philes and other English language do-gooders think about him? Or Haitian politics? Or anything else for that matter?? Anything "important" that turns up on the Corbet list must surely be old news to Aristide... Although, I have, on occasion wondered if "M. Pierre" was secretly Aristide (Are you?).

Also, the whole discussion has the unfortunate side-effect of constructing Aristide as a kind of all seeing Svenghali - grinning sliently in the shadows as we mince about in our unsuspecting messianic innocence. Crazy! Um...but if you're out there reading this, Titid, let me just say that I hope you used some of this down-time and some of that suitcase stuffed with cash to get the goggle-eye fixed ... it was buggin' the shit out of me!

I too, love the list, by the way

---

Paul Bick
Department of Anthropology
The University of Illinois at Chicago
Behavioral Sciences Building #2128
1007 West Harrison Street
Chicago, IL 60607

847-863-8725

Mortgage rates as low as 4.625% - Refinance $150,000 loan for $579 a month. Intro*Terms https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h27f6&disc=y&vers=743&s=4056&p=5117