30141: Stephen Jacob - comment: 30138: jhudicourtb (comment) (fwd)

Stephen Jacob

I think the folks at Reuters are simply giving their readers more information. The average person doesn't know anything about Haiti. I remember one classmate asking me if it was in Africa and other one confusing it with Tahiti.

By referring to Haiti as a "former French colony" it's simply giving the reader a little more information. Calling the USA a former British colony is completely accurate, except the average person doesn't need any clarification. As for Brazil, I have read articles in major papers referring to it as a former Portuguese colony. Likely, this is because most Americans think they speak Spanish there because of its location.

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.  http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline