30144: Vedrine (article) Can Haitians move on politically? (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

CAN HAITIANS MOVE ON POLITICALLY?

by Emmanuel W. VEDRINE
Boston Haitian Reporter, March 2007

Oh Lord! What a question for an article? We don’t have any concrete answer yet, seeing Haiti’s current situation, one that is deteriorating and a divided Diaspora over current political issues that concern Haiti.

Many (voiceless) Haitians would think that it’s about time for Haitians to put some issues behind, one year after Haiti’s presidential elections, if they really want to see Haiti moving forward in this new century.

René Préval did choose to return to Politics (that was his choice as a citizen), and if we are fair, we can say that he had no control over the final results of last year’s elections that almost gave rise to a civil war in Haiti. But I published an article beforehand in the Boston Haitian Reporter, wishing “good luck” to whoever would be the winner, and that person would be the Haitian people’s president. I mentioned before the results were in that whoever gets elected president, we’ll hear a lot of blah, blah, blah from other parties and fans to reject that winner. This is not something new in Haitian politics.

As of now, what’s needed to be done would be criticizing what those who are currently in power should do and have not done. I think it’s important for both Haitian critics and politicians to see how Politics in the US work (in terms of putting some issues behind and move on) to work for the country’s welfare.

Certainly, Haiti has been living through a very chaotic situation 21 years after the fall of the Duvalier. The situation in Haiti seems to be worse today, compared to 21 years ago (tough “macoutes” no longer exist, but we now have the “kidnappers” that terrify the population, particularly in urban areas of the capital and its outskirts). I talk fairly as a Haitian who cares about Haiti’s future, a country where everyone can live peacefully with respect and dignity, but not as a supporter of any regime.

Let’s see the current problems that Haiti is facing (e.g., insecurity, kidnapping, unemployment, blackout, teen prostitution to survive, deforestation, ecological problems, Haitian peasant leaving the country to go to the Dominican Republic, no free schools, no long term vision for the country, etc.) and “voye monte” (rambling or trash talk) and see what can be done, what should be done and how it can be done. What can different Haitian groups in the Diaspora do to help Haiti if they are really organized? And what can be done to change the unproductive political culture in Haiti.

Play Flexicon: the crossword game that feeds your brain. PLAY now for FREE.  http://zone.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmtagline