30164: Lucien (reply)Re: 30159: Leiderman re: 30153: (viewpoint) Haitian rubber-stamp (fwd)

From patlucien@yahoo.com

Stuart,
I am not sure if the idea of a trust fund is what I would favor.  When we invest in Mutual Fund here in the US, we know exactly what makes the portfolio of this fund, meaning we know the company we are investing in.

I would favor having people purchase shares/actions of  specific active or ongoing projects that they may have interest in. What we need is experts that are capable of reviewing some viable projects and give their ok based on their expertise and then promote those projects.

 For example, if one was to build a resort in Fort-Liberte, I am sure that most people from the north will be interested in investing in such project cause it is closed to home and that's job creation in an area that they are familiar with.  We have to find a way to connect to  investors not just because it is a good cause but because  it is also a wise investment for them.  Haitians these days are more "regionalist" than "nationalist"  (and that's probably because when we say Haiti, everyone thinks Port-au-Prince)  therefore if you want to sell them something, there has to be someting for their locality.  Why not for example build regional investment funds assuming that there are on going projects in those regions.

In regards to the private bank for investment, that is what Fonkoze uses as a model, but I am not sure if they are set to support mid size projects.

I wonder if there are strong minded businessmen in this list than can create a review team, specially people that hare businessmen in Haiti.

Jean-Patrick Lucien
Dream big. Do good. Live well.