30195: (news) Chamberlain: Feared gang leader arrested in Haiti (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

     By Joseph Guyler Delva

     PORT-AU-PRINCE, March 13 (Reuters) - One of Haiti's most wanted gang
leaders was arrested on Tuesday as security forces intensified efforts to
crack down on criminal gangs in the troubled Caribbean country, authorities
said.
     The gang leader, who goes only by the name Evans, was arrested near
the southern town of Les Cayes, where he fled last month after a raid by
hundreds of U.N. peacekeepers on his stronghold in the notorious
Port-au-Prince slum of Cite Soleil.
     Evans and his men have been linked to a rash of kidnappings in the
capital and to pitched street battles with U.N. soldiers amid Cite Soleil's
battered warren of tin-roofed shanties.
     "We arrested Evans early this morning with two other people, including
his girlfriend," police Commissioner Fritz Saint-Fort told Reuters.
     "We caught him very easily," added Inspector Gilet Alexis Camille, a
police spokesman in Les Cayes. "We had proper intelligence that told us he
was in the area."
     Several other gang leaders from the capital's sprawling slums have
also fled their strongholds over the last couple of months after U.N.-led
security forces stepped up operations against the gangs.
     The 8,000-strong U.N. peacekeeping force in Haiti arrived in 2004
after the ouster of populist President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.
     Many gang leaders are still outspoken supporters of Aristide and see
him as a champion of long-neglected slum-dwellers in the poorest nation in
the Western Hemisphere.