30236: Durban (reply): re. Inquiry, Jacmel Travel, from LeGrace Benson (fwd)

Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com> replies to LeGrace Benson re.
traveling to Jacmel...

Well, I suppose the reason you want to avoid Port-au-Prince is due to
the security issues raised by the press.  My advice:  Don't worry.
Things are really pretty safe these days, and there are good regular
flights from PAP airport if you don't want to make the (perfectly
ordinary and quite scenic) 3 hour drive.

My wife and I made the drive last weekend with some friends, and I
would definitely recommend a very small Italian restaurant, Pasta
Nostra, on the main road EAST of Jacmel (east of Cayes Jacmel also and
just west of Cabiq Bay).  It has exactly 4 tables for a total of 16
people and is run by a charming woman who was married for awhile to an
Italian... evidently married long enough so she picked up enough
knowledge to run a real Italian restaurant!  Rustic yes, but a great
dinner for four WITH a bottle of good wine for less than US$ 50.
There's an interesting little beachside hotel within walking distance
of Pasto Nostra, but I don't have a phone number for that one.  Maybe
Jacqui Labom can help!

Lance Durban