30248: from Jacqui Labrom re St. Trinity Philharmonic Orchestra (fwd)

from voyageslumierehaiti@gmail.com  Please note my new email address.

Well we hear a lot about regular Haitian music, not forgetting of
course our friend Richard's RAM, but we don't hear much about
classical music in Haiti, so I thought I would tell you about a
wonderful concert I went to this morning.

St. Trinity Episcopalian church has a Classical School of Music
associated with it and this morning they had a wonderful concert put
on by their Philharmonic ORchestra. The Orchestra is made up mostly of
young people - about 60 of them in all and they play such wonderful
music.

The program this morning included the Ouverture Melusine op. 32 from
Mendelssohn and then the  Symphonie no. 5 in D minor by Beethoven
which was wonderful and beautifully played. Then they finished with a
'Choucoune Poème from Oswald Durand - a Haitian, with the music by
Moleart Monton and the arrangement by Maestro Hector Lominy, one of
the Directors of the Orchestra. It was gorgeous with fabulous drum
accompaniement (I can't spell that word!!).

There was a good mix of people, Haitians some with their kids, an
Ambassador or so, plus several ex pats. We all appreciated the program
and the concert so much and the Beethoven's Symphony got a standing
ovation.

They are putting on several concerts during the year so if anyone is
interested in the dates write to me offline and I'll put you on the
mailing list.

One not to miss is the Gala Dinner/Concert at the occasion of Mother's
Day on 25th May - it will be held again at the Karibe Convention
centre this year and every year it is wonderful. Everyone in evening
dress, a lovely dinner and superb music. All in aid of the Orchestra,
helping Haitian young people to learn and appreciate Classical music.
It's so important and coming from London I appreciate it very much.

Plus each year I organise under the auspices of the Intl. Women's
Assn. an Open Air Concert which is being held again this year on the
lawn of the French Ambassador's residence and you can sit on the grass
and bring your picnic, food and wine and enjoy the lovely music as
well as having a pleasant al fresco experience. Let me know if you
want information on that. We raise funds through this concert for our
charitable projects in Haiti.

So folks, enjoy the music of Haiti - all different kinds!!!

Jacqui Labrom

voyageslumierehaiti@gmail.com