30247 (English) ask: Haitian Revolution (fwd)

From: Graham English <graham@englishandco.com>

[Bob Corbett notes]

Folks, I received a note from this man who is doing some research and
I believe some sort of fiml about the French general named below.

If any of you can help him, please send a note directly to his e-mail
address which it above this note.  Thanks,   Bob ]

To: Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu>

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply.

Here's some reference as to who he was, we just can't find a
reference picture of him anywhere.

The landmark battle of this campaign took place near the town of
Petite-Riviere De L'Artibonite, around a fort called La Crete-a-
Pierrot. That was one of the fiercest battles ever fought by forces
anywhere on Earth in this early part of the 19th Century. Barricaded
inside the small fort, 1,300 men commanded by Dessalines,
Lamartiniere and Magny resisted assault after assault from 16,000 of
the best of Europe aided by 2,000 of the colonial army. Dessalines
was as revered by his soldiers as he was feared. One morning, he
noticed some men nonchalantly grouped around a cannon. He asked
Magny: "what are those men doing over there?" Magny responded "That's
a cannon, general sir, that we are moving to this opening overlooking
the town". "Such slowness! It will be noon and those men would not be
finished" With that, he started showing some impatience and reached
for his cane. In no time, as if by magic, the piece had reached its
destination.

So, perhaps if you could post up a notice that reads that a
researcher in the UK is looking for picture reference for General
Magny for a project about the Haitian Revolution and put my e-mail
address on it we might get lucky. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once again,

Graham English