30270: Leiderman (information): Haiti rice reply (fwd)

From: leiderman@mindspring.com

dear Readers:

concerning the arsenic-in-rice subject, I received this kind and prompt reply from Prof. Andrew Meharg in Scotland.  if you want to help gather samples of Haiti-grown rice, please let me know and we'll jump to it.  sources can be the farmers themselves, packing and exporting houses, importers plus wholesalers and retailers at Haitian neighborhood groceries here in the US.

thank you,

Stuart Leiderman
leiderman@mindspring.com

- - - - - - -

From: Meharg, Professor Andrew A.
To: leiderman@mindspring.com

Dear Stuart

happy to analyse the samples - will build our data base - we have nothing from the Caribbean/South American region - so Haitian samples would be valuable - 10-20 samples as a start from different markets would be ideal - only need 1-2 g of each sample - so cheap to post - and have a licence to import rice sent from US for research purposes

cheers

andy

homepg: www.abdn.ac.uk/biologicalsci/staff/details.php?id=a.meharg&filt

Venomous Earth: How Arsenic Caused The World's Worst Mass Poisoning
available for download at: www.macmillanscience.com/1403944997.asp