30275: charles (confused) Re: 30260: Leiderman (followup) re: 30251, 30243: Haiti's phantom farmers; arsenic and [old?] rice (fwd)

From: pgcharles@optonline.net

Stuart wrote:

to my knowledge, Prof. Meharg in Scotland has not yet tested for arsenic levels in
Haitian-grown rice, but he may be open to the idea:

It's easy to guess that if there were high levels of arsenic in Haitian rice then the FDA
would not have allowed its import into the US.

therefore, "the rest of the story" of the consequences of Haiti's importing large amounts of American rice, is that it may also be importing arsenic poisoning, i.e. contaminating the
food supply of almost 9 million people.

Indeed, why is Haiti exporting rice to the US when it cannot produce enough rice to feed itself and also imports large amount of rice from the US? Who is the exporter?

...However, I do see a silver lining in this situation. Once Prof. Meharg has proved that Haitian rice does not contain high levels of arsenic, the Haitian rice growers can start charging a premium for their "clean" rice.

--philippe