30297: Re: 30259: Leiderman re Lyall 30285: rice-a-rama (fwd)

From: PM Raber <raber88@zoominternet.net>

For Haiti's agriculture to become profitable, it should find niche markets for many of its wonderful product. When I go to my local grocer, I pay $3 for a pomegranite (Grenade). Grenade plants are fast growing and produce in abundance. In Haiti they have no market value. They are fun food that little kids eat. The "Pom" version of pomegranite juice is even more costly than the fruit. The Haitian mango Fransik is still the best mango around. Nobody can beat the Tangerines from the Lavaneau area near Jacmel. The only place I have tasted a similarly delicious tangerine was in the Jamaican Blue Mountains.

Westerners are spending a fortune on "mangosteen juice" another wonder tropical fruit that appears to be very similar (in taste and qualities not genus and species) to the Haitian Kayimit (Star Apple). The star apple tree used to cover many Haitian mountains. The Kayimit is way more nutritious than the mangosteen as it is very high in calcium and has up to 5 times the amount of protein and other nutrients. you can compare those fruits by going to the site: www.hort.[urdue.edu/newcrop/morton/star_apple.html or /mangosteen.html It would not take more than 10 year aggressively pusruing niche market for organic rice, organic pitimi, gluten free flours (Haitian have oodles of those flours from manioc, plantans etc..), exotic fruit and juices, and "recently secret" leaf doctor homeopathic mixtures of soaps, teas etc.... to earn a dominant share of the new markets seeking untouched fruits as alternative to the disgusting and tasteless red apple and unripe bananas. Add to that the insecticides from the Nime trees and the possibilities are endless

American are paying a fortune for the juice of a fruit from Asia (can;