30331: Fouche (reply) Re: 30322: Morse; A Visit North (fwd)

From: R. Fouché <fouchnickens@yahoo.com>

I was in Milo several years ago to assist my uncle in running a medical clinic, and I fell in love with the people there. Although we were there for a more sober undertaking, I too felt that the true spirit of Haiti was alive and well in Milo. It was the only place in Haiti where I did not feel like a peculiar stranger -- someone who by birth is Haitian, but had grown up in the US. I'm glad to hear that spirit still predominates, especially during Carnival season!

And you hit the nail on the head, Richard, about those huge areas of desertification. There is so much agricultural promise in those areas, especially if irrigation was provided. My thought would be to establish a desalination plant to use sea water for crop irrigation, which I think is how Israel's agricultural operations are supported. And since Haiti gets plenty of sunshine, the plant could run on solar energy. But Haiti has the capacity to feed itself *and* also generate capital through agriculture -- it just takes some "out of the box" thinking and input from the Haitian agricultural community.

  Rachel Fouché