30342: Hermantin(news)Eventful journey took priest from Cap Haitien to Miramar (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Eventful journey took priest from Cap Haitien to Miramar

By James D. Davis
Religion Editor

April 8, 2007

As a child, Fritzner Bellonce was one of nine siblings in Haiti's Cap Haitien region, where his father farmed rice, beans, potatoes and bananas.

As a man, the now Rev. Fritzner Bellonce -- one of South Florida's newest priests -- says his first Easter Mass today, at St. Bartholomew Catholic Church in Miramar.

It's been an eventful journey from Cap Haitien to Miramar, where he leads his flock today in celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ. But the highlight of the 32-year-old priest's passage was a vivid spiritual rebirth of his own.

It happened last year during the five-day retreat required of all aspiring priests.

Praying at St. Leo Abbey, near Tampa, Bellonce asked: "Let me know if this is the right thing for me to do."

Abruptly he felt a storm of sensations -- heat, cold, fear turning to joy -- an experience he still struggles to describe.

"I was transformed -- I was not myself," Bellonce says. "I felt under the power of the Holy Spirit. Something was given to me grace was poured out on me, to answer the call."

The call has brought him to the multicultural St. Bart's, as parishioners call it. There he is valued for his flexibility: He preaches not only in his native Creole, but also in Spanish and English.

"He's smart and sensitive to people and cultures," says an admiring Rev. Paul Vuturo, pastor at St. Bartholomew. "He is a wonderful gift to the parish."

Bellonce started weeks ago to piece together his first Easter message, reviewing biblical verses dealing with the story.

Themes of repentance, forgiveness and returning to God -- these have been turning over in his mind, he says.

"I've always felt Easter is the peak moment for Christianity," he says. "Most people come to church then, and they're not thinking of getting gifts, as on Christmas. They give themselves to God, to renew their commitment to the faith."

Lofty thoughts from a man who was raised so close to the land. But his rural beginnings did not preclude church. Bellonce's mother, Angelique, attended church every day and sent him to Catholic school. He was influenced also by a young priest in his parish.

"He was a role model for every young man there," Bellonce says. "He always tried to get the good out of people. He embraced everyone, no matter the background, as a human being who could contribute."

Bellonce found himself considering the priesthood when he moved to the Bahamas -- a standard steppingstone for many Haitians setting their sights on South Florida.

Living on Eleuthera, making cement blocks, he was amazed to hear a Bahamian priest say, "You would make a good priest" -- on their first meeting.

When Bellonce reached South Florida, just before his 20th birthday, he was turned down at first by the Archdiocese of Miami. He persisted in seeking a priestly vocation for more than a year, making contacts while working at a Chinese fast-food restaurant.

Finally, a friendly priest in Wilton Manors wrote the archdiocesan vocations director on his behalf -- and got other priests to do the same.

Bellonce then began the nine-year "formation" process -- the education, spiritual mentoring and personal soul searching of priests in training: first at St. John Vianney College Seminary in Miami, then at St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary near Boynton Beach. The rigorous process shakes out most students; 13 entered St. John Vianney, but only four graduated.

"For some, it was the pressure of ministering to people, or living with other priests," Bellonce says. "Some decided they wanted to marry."

A starker challenge arose in the late 1990s, when one of several sexual abuse scandals involving priests hit the headlines.

"It was scary to wake up every day and check the newspaper or TV, to see if the next one was someone you know," Bellonce says. "I asked myself how I would face the world when people asked me about the scandals."

He recalls a verbal attack at an immigration office: "Are you one of them? Are you blind? Can't you see what's happening?" The rant reduced the young seminarian to tears, until the office secretary, who'd known him several years, stuck up for him.

Later, his mentor, the Rev. John McLaughlin, steadied him with a simple sentence: "Remember, you are here to make a difference."

At St. Bartholomew, Bellonce has settled into the rhythms of church life: counseling, confessions, praying with the sick, officiating at weddings. But he's still not used to hearing "Father Fritz," or calling parishioners by name.

"In Haitian culture, we call elders `Mom' or `Dad' or `Uncle'," he explains. "I usually end up saying `Mom,' then her name."

Yet he says the work, plus the soul-shaking experience at the St. Leo retreat, has helped equip him for a life of ministry.

"I used to wonder, how would I shepherd and care for people? Maybe I could cope with seminary, but could I deal with common people?" he says.

"Then I found it wasn't hard to extend myself. It's a grace given me."

James D. Davis can be reached at jdavis@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4730.

Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon. http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglineapril07