30346: Lucien (comment): Kathleen (reply) (info) 30312 (fwd) biofuel (fwd)

From patlucien@yahoo.com

JoAnn,

We also need to consider the energy factor. All agricultural equipment requires energy. Gasoline sells at $4US a gallon. Haiti import 11,500 barrels of oil every day, which amounts to almost a Billion dollar a year. Therefore biofuel production is a good idea for Haiti.

What people are not talking about is inter-cropping. Most bio-fuel plants (Palm, Jatropha, and others) requires 12 feet of space between each tree. You still have plenty of land to grow other crops. What the bio-fuel crops does is give the farmer an ongoing stream of revenue while he waits for this crop to grow. Some plants like Palm or Jatropha will produce seed almost all year long, the farmer will sell the crop to the bio-fuel company and have a weekly stream of revenue, while he grow his crops. In return, the fuel gets cheaper, one can then think of setting processing plants in rural Haiti for transformation of local crops. This should probably be a must in government strategy for bio-fuel, that inter-cropping be a requirement on all land used for bio-fuel.

We need to think in term of business, if it is not profitable, no one will do it. If we can reduce the cost of fuel in Haiti, off course, more people will consider setting a small processing plant.