39364: Hermantin(letter)Money to Haiti (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Miami Herald

Posted on Wed, Apr. 11, 2007

Money to Haiti

I commend Ana Menendez for her column on the critical importance of remittances for immigrant families left behind (Sweat, generosity of emigrants Haiti's lifeline, April 8).

I would add that there are many immigrants supporting their hometowns by contributing to reputable and trustworthy organizations working in various localities to improve living conditions in Haiti.

Haitians and Haitian Americans living here have generously supported projects related to health, education, microcredit, reforestation and sustainable development. While the dollar amount of such contributions does not compare to the billions in remittances, their transformational impact on communities served is profound and long-lasting.

LEONIE M. HERMANTIN, deputy director, Lambi Fund of Haiti, Miami

© 2007 Miami Herald Media Company. All Rights Reserved.
http://www

abouthaiti@haitianleague.org

with the word SUBSCRIBE in the subject line.

This list will be available while you're away and we'll kill it once you
return.

Messages for the list may be sent to

abouthaiti@haitianleague.org

John Rigdon