30371: Pichard (query about education in Haiti) (fwd)

From: mercedes pichard <mercedespichard@earthlink.net>

Greetings list members;

Since I got my doctorate in Education over a year ago at the University of Central Florida, with a concentration in Haitian Studies, I have been wondering how I could help the country of Haiti in the realm of educational reform. I must confess that I have no desire to work on piece-meal projects and small operations, nor to work with one NGO doing X one summer and another NGO doing Y the following year. I deeply admire and respect those who have the courage, energy and resources to work in the field in Haiti helping certain groups with their development and learning agendas. Thank you to all of those people who have educated me about Haiti and "helping in Haiti" and "loving Haiti" over the past 6 years, you are too numerous to name here. If you have jumped to read my request below, and if it sounds presumptuous of me to wish to work directly with the Ministry of Education in Haiti, then so be it, and you can call me 'arrogant', though my intentions are good, and I am basically a respectful person. So please hear me out, because I have been thinking about education and educational needs in Haiti for a very long time.

Let me preface my query by saying that I am not so presumptuous (nor naive) as to suppose that I could/ would / should tell anyone in any ministry or any organization anywhere in the world "what to do and how to do it". NO. I am not a neo-colonialist nor am I deliberately hegemonic. I know deeply and personally how intelligent and thoughtful most Haitian people are. I have sense enough to listen to others, hear about the 'givens' in a situation, hear about the needs, and respectfully make suggestions based on the short-term goals and needs as well as those in the longer-term. ("This system is how some schools or districts or countries accomplish this particular goal, but we can adapt that to the needs of your place, so let's think about the pieces that would work and the pieces we need to change, and then let's come up with a plan....") I would like to encourage and help the ministers and 'the team' in the Haitian educational realm to develop visions of progress, by talking calmly about one thing at a time, but keeping in mind that one thing always relates to another. I like to consider myself as a thoughtful and practical consultant in the realm of education. I am very practical, I am a logistics-person, an appplications-person, not a dreamer, although perhaps still idealistic. I am happy to do research on how a given question has already been solved elsewhere, as I do not believe we should re-invent the wheel. I am aware of "corruption" and the scale of it in Haiti, and how corruption and poverty impact attempts at reforms. I am aware of mistrust, resistance and wariness in Haiti; I am aware of color and status issues; I am aware of illiteracy statistics and their implications for educational reform efforts; I am aware that there are many very urgent matters to be dealt with in Haiti (like medical care and potable water for all, and ecological issues and economic issues and security issues). I am aware of just how giant, broad, massive, convoluted, and long-term the many concepts and undertakings of "educational reform" in Haiti will be, and that sometimes Education will take a back seat to all of those other very urgent matters.

I believe that there is a relationship between schools and society, and that students are exposed to intellectual, economic, political, moral, civic, and social purposes through their education. Most societies today would like to form future citizens who think for themselves about the issues, problems and solutions of the place where they live. An education with the possibility of critical thinking and practical applications for all students would seem most sensible for a developing country. "Curriculum" is defined as who learns what, when, how and why. Dearly as we all love Haiti, it would seem that there are some curricular as well as practical issues as yet unresolved on that island: the lack of standardization -- differences in education between private and state schools, among the private schools, and between the cities and the rural areas; what is taught and how it is taught and how it is learned, in Haitian primary and secondary schools; equitable access to sensible and practical learning goals for all students in Haiti as well as equal access to supplies and instructors; the lack of systemization of such practicalities as students' attendance, promotion or retention, the quality and degree of teacher-training and professional development, assessment mechanisms for students and for teachers; tuition, salaries, costs; and of course, thinking about a rational modern curriculum, curriculum, curriculum: what is being taught to Haitian students, how and why, and what good it will do them when they are grown-ups.

This is what I bring to the table: an excellent education and a systems-thinking, organized kind of mind. Long term observations of what works in educational settings and how to set these things up, all of the cogs in a wheel. A doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with a minor in Educational Administration. A career of 26 years in Education spent both in the USA and in Europe, with multiple different ages and groups of learners, together for all kinds of tasks and purposes. Experience training adults in professional development forums. Perfectly fluent written and spoken French and understanding of Haitian-Creole. Ten trips to Haiti on educational research in schools and with Haitian teachers. A love for Haiti and the Haitian people. My capability of analysis of what's good and what's not so good, what's working and what's not working too well right now, in the educational field in Haiti. The desire and willingness to be a team player.

I am willing to offer my services as a consultant to the Ministry of Education in Haiti. Tell me how to do this. My e-mail is: mercedespichard@earthlink.net

Thanks to all for reading and considering such a very long posting to Dr. Corbett's Haiti list!

Mercedes Pichard, Ed.D.