30384: Morse (reply) Frontana re biofuels

oloffsonram@aol.com

What mostly piqued my interest in the article about Castro was not so much his criticism of biofuels but his lack of an alternative to oil and biofuels.

I understand the idea that people will start planting money crops instead of subsistence and food crops but what I'm looking at here in Haiti is neither. I just see lots of unused land. Planting mesquite seems better than having unused land. There seems to be a lack of agricultural vision and leadership. This isn't a criticism by the way. Agriculture just hasn't been a recent priority.

I think its time to take a serious look at our direction here. Oil and gas, are too expensive for your typical Haitian and they're not getting cheaper. We're importing plantains, inferior rice, sugar and lemons which are local staples. All used to be grown locally. Importing from the DR may be easier because of lack of roads in the Haitian countryside or maybe it's because a few families found it was easier and more profitable to import. Decisions sometimes benefit a few but cause greater suffering to the majority.

As for achievements from Haiti's agricultural past; Versailles comes to mind.