30407: Bean (ask) Re: Mombrun painting (fwd)

From: steve bean <sbean@wayxcable.com>

My name is Steve Bean.  I am the Coordinator of Art and Exhibits at the
Okefenokee Heritage Center in Waycross, Ga., U.S.A.  The Okefenokee Heritage
Center is an art center and history museum.  The Center has in it's
possession a painting by an artist that I think is Haitian.  The painting is
signed V. Mombrun (under Mombrun is written Jacmel), and a date, 8/74.  It
is an oil painting in a primitive style.  The scene is the interior of a
house with a thatched roof.  The colors are very vivid.  The scene depicts
what I think is a Voodoo ritual.  There are three men playing drums, a
fourth man looks like he is making designs on the floor, and a fifth man is
sitting in the corner of the room.  Also in the lower right hand corner is
written "Vaudou: Vever."  Does this mean Voodoo lives?  I would appreciate
any information on this artist or the painting.  Anyone with information may
contact me at sbean@wayxcable.com.