30423: Hermantin(News)Haitian culture, food promoted (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Miami Herald

Posted on Thu, May. 10, 2007

Haitian culture, food promoted

Municipal leaders from Northeast Miami-Dade ushered in May as Haitian Heritage Month, which highlights Haitian culture and food through various events throughout the county.

BY TANIA VALDEMORO
tvaldemoro@MiamiHerald.com

A kneeling woman fries bread in a pan atop a charcoal-filled box. All around her are pans of other Haitian fried goodies: griot or fried pork, fried plantains, fried sweet potatoes and fried dumplings.

Artist Sophia Lacroix, who is Haitian, calls the image ``our version of going to Publix.''

''When you go to the outdoor marketplace, your senses are assaulted by smells and bright colors. That sensory experience helps you cope with the economic challenges of living in Haiti,'' Lacroix explained.

The painting was unveiled May 1 at North Miami City Hall as part of the kickoff for the county's seventh annual Haitian Heritage Month.

Emeline Alexis, president of the Haitian American Cultural Society, said the painting ties in with the purpose of the monthlong series of cultural events.

''We are opening a window onto the culture so that non-Haitians have a better understanding of who we are,'' she said.

``We are also providing a mirror to Haitians so that they know about themselves.''

The theme of this year's Haitian Heritage Month is ''Discovering the Taste of Haiti,'' or Decouvrons le gout de Haiti.

A multitude of events is taking place throughout Miami-Dade through the end of the month, and are free and open to the public.

The offerings include a one-woman art show featuring Lacroix's work at the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami; a children's book fair at Morningside Elementary School;and an art fair in Miami's Design District; cooking classes and tastings; and a country party called Fet Champet featuring fried foods and domino games in the Redland.

The city of Miami will also sponsor events throughout the month. The city's activities were launched earlier this month by City Commissioner Michelle Spence-Jones at the Freedom Garden in Little Haiti.

El Portal Mayor Mariette SaintVil, said the widespread celebration of Haitian Heritage Month shows how much the Haitian community has changed since the 1980s, when Haitians in South Florida routinely downplayed or denied their roots.

''We have come a long way to accept ourselves,'' she said. ``We have 10 elected officials [in Miami-Dade] now, and this generation has a lot to pass onto the next generation.''

SaintVil, however, said as her generation grows older, it's important to make sure youngsters connect with their heritage.

``We have to promote Haitian culture by speaking to the kids and letting them know where this all began.''

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07