30440: Holmstead (reply) Re: 30411: Kevin Pina's work (fwd)

FROM: John Holmstead

I came across this interview with Pina on youtube.com
along with a trailer of his new film. It doesn't
really say much but whatever Michael Deibert says, it
seems like Pina has a longer history and experience
with Haiti I'd personally like to use to compare and
contrast. I understand his new documentary is
premiering in NY on June 1. I really want to see it.
There web site is www.haitiinformationproject.com and
the announcement of his tour is found at
http://haitiaction.net/News/HIP/5_8_7/5_8_7.html.

Interview with Kevin Pina 01:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8r57TmCI60

This is a short excerpt of an interview with the
producer/director of "HAITI: We must kill the BANDITS"
in late 2004.

This is a short excerpt of an interview with the
producer/director of "HAITI: We must kill the BANDITS"
in late 2004.

Kevin Pina began reporting from Haiti in 1991 for KPFA
news on the Pacifica Network in the United States. He
was the only international journalist to provide
in-depth reporting and human rights documentation of
atrocities committed by the Haitian military in the
poor neighborhood of Cite Soleil following the brutal
military coup of 1991.

Pina released his first documentary on Haiti, "Haiti:
Harvest of Hope" in 1997. During the production of
"Harvest," Pina survived an assassination attempt in
July 1993 (http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti-
archive/msg03500.html)

After deciding to produce a sequel, he moved to Haiti
in Jan. 1999 living and working there for seven years.

During that time Pina worked as a consultant for
Television Nationale d'Haiti for a total of six
months. It was largely a volunteer position teaching
camera and editing techniques to the staff. He
received a total of $1000 compensation to cover his
transportation expenses during the entire six months
period of his involvement with the station. Pina also
worked in a similar position at Tele-Haiti, a
privately owned station in the capital. He later
became the Station Manager of Tele-Max, Haiti's
largest and privately owned television station that
was the subject of unfounded rumors that it was owned
by President Aristide. Tele-Max' sole owner(not
Aristide), sold the station to Wyclef Jean.

Pina was forced into hiding due to death threats
against his person and family on March 2, 2004 after
releasing an interview with former Prime Minister Yvon
Neptune the day before. He then began reporting
regularly for FLASHPOINTS, a radio program heard daily
on the flagship station of the Pacifica Network and
was appointed an Associate Editor at the Black
Commentator.

Pina also produced and/or edited over 30 Haitian music
videos between 2000-2004 including Raram, Brother's
Posse, Rappin Family, Chandel and Kampeche to name a
few. He also produced and directed several
informational videos for clients in Haiti including
"Oganize' W" for the Pan American Development
Foundation and for Fonkoze, the coummnity development
bank for the poor:
http://www.fonkoze.org/Alternative.asf

Pina has completed his Bachelor's Degree in Humanities
since moving back to his hometown of Oakland, CA in
March 2006. He was the recipient of several grants and
scholarships and has worked as a Final Cut Pro
instructor at New College of California in San
Francisco. Pina has also consulted and worked as a
freelance video editor on several documentary films
unrelated to Haiti.

Pina is preparing for his Master of Fine Arts in
Cinema, has just released "HAITI: We must kill the
BANDITS" and is editing the final documentary in his
Haiti trilogy, "HAITI: The Betrayal of Democracy." He
is also finishing his first book about his experiences
in Haiti that shares the same title as his new
documentary.

Pina's Haiti projects have been sponsored by the Marin
Interfaith Taskforce on the Americas and independently
funded through the generous contributions of over 300
individuals in the United States, Canada and Latin
America. To date, he has never received a single check
from Jean-Bertrand Aristide and wonders where all his
money went since rumors have him firmly placed on the
payroll!!

Sample of Pina's editorial work unrelated to Haiti:

http://www.artnetwork.com/JaisalmerAyo/index.html

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.