30462: Roebling (reply) RE: 30431 USAID report (fwd)

Elizabeth Roebling lizieames@yahoo.com

I couldn't agree more with Lance Durban on the issuing of this report.There are some wonderfully juicy projects in Haiti like the ORE project down in LesCayes which works on fruit tree production and Lait Agrogo, which does milk and yogurt production in the Northeast which should be getting massive amounts of funding - because-- well -- (and I hesitate a bit here) They work.And both are begging for money.

The ORE project has led to Haiti being the world's largest exporter of organic mangoes. Right. Largest. And the young farmers from Lait Agropro who were at the binational fair last year just stunned everyone there - the beekeepers from Dajabon had never tasted yogurt. Both the Lait Agro Pro project and ORE helps make the small farm sustainable but they appear to be working at opposite ends of the country.

I met a young woman from USAID Haiti who was sweet as she could be, all enthused about a project she was working on basic teaching programs in Kreyole on the radio. How many years as USAID been in Haiti?

I hate this top down development model.

BTW- does anyone know anything of the work of the Heifer project on the ground in Haiti. Thanks.

Elizabeth

8:00? 8:25? 8:40?  Find a flick in no time