30470: Labrom re 30451 (fwd)

from voyageslumierehaiti@gmail.com

Responding to this reply I would state that if we lived like the poor
of Haiti we would only be concerned with putting food in our bellies
too.

When I have had visitors come here and say "Oh why do the Haitians cut
down trees for charcoal, don't they know what will happen in 20
years"!
I reply excuse me but they can only think about 20 hours cos their
kids will die if they don't eat. Until we walk in their shoes we can't
criticise. Apart from which the tradition of cutting down trees was
started by the Europeans, the Spanish and the French for Mahogany and
then continued by the Americans during the Occupation. At least the
Haitian people are doing it for survival and not for profit.

Until we have a financial viable alternative to charcoal nothing will
change. Even if it's only 1 gourde more expensive people can't afford
it. I say to my visitors, since when did you or I go to the
supermarket and say Oh I can't afford that cos it cost me 3 cents
more?  I doubt ever!!!

However if you have been over to the Grand'Anse - Jeremie way, then
you would see how wonderfully green and forested that area is. YET
every third house is doing charcoal. When I asked how could it remain
so green, I was told it was because they only cut down the branches
and NOT the whole tree. A branch can quickly grow again but when you
cut the tree down it's gone forever.  What I don't understand is why
the Agricultural people are not broadcasting this throughout the
nation!!!

Jacqui Labrom
Voyages Lumière SA
email: voyageslumierehaiti@gmail.com