30486: Ilorme (reply) Re : 30431: Leiderman: information: new USAID-Haiti environmental report (fwd)

From: Fredline ILORME <frednlin@yahoo.com>

It is the first time that I'm participating in this list debate. However, I feel the urgent need to do so since it seems to me that most people on the list are missing the point of the report. If I agree that the findings and recommendations are not that new, the report has the quality of recognizing that environmental problems in Haiti are due not only to lack of knowledge but also lack of economical resources and state leadership. I find the greatest contribution of this report to be the mapping effort mainly for the watersheds. Mapping efforts are few in Haiti. However, it is an important tool for decision makers and even more so when resources are scarce. Prioritization efforts should be encouraged and even if this one is at an useful scale, it at least leads the way and tried to provide a decision tool to decision makers.