30503: Re: 30485: Lucien Scheerhorn/Durban's response to USA - Haiti env report and agriculture (fwd)

From: loccm@aol.com

Re. agriculture studies.  I certainly agree with your comments.  We bought and donated a tractor to a farmer and the first night it was there, the neighbors stole all the wiring and it never ran even one day.  It was finally cut up for junk.  So much for progressive farming.  I still plant gardens every year at our orphanage and the kids enjoy the work for about 15 minutes.  We bought 2,000 banana plants and had them planted for the whole community.  The neighbors turned goats in and destroyed them.  As we tried to explain that the plants were a gift to them and if they took care of them, they would soon be harvesting a crop to feed their children.  The attitude we saw was "we will not be a slave to a man and certainly not be a slave to a plant.  Our sad response was that " them you will be a slave to hunger and poverty".  John Ba Wen