please DIRECTLY contact Devora Haeuber at the address below]

From: Devora Haeuber <devoradoug5@comcast.net>

I recently came across a large (19 inches by 13.5 inches) black and white print (likely an aquatint) which is entitled, "Tombeau d'Alexandre Petion". The center of the print is a large oval image of Petion in profile atop a classic marble bier with a number of engraved figures and to the left in relief on the bier a metal shield with the inscription "JP Boyer 30 Mars 1818" on it.

Above the image of Petion is a burst of sun coming through an opening in the clouds with the words "Liberte Egalite" written above a collection of symbols including two books, one labeled "Constitution d'Haiti" and the other "Haitian Code". Below the image of Petion is another inscription: "Il n'a jamais fait couler les larmes de personne." On either side of the bier is a soldier holding a rifle with bayonet; on the left is a causcasian, on the right is a black.

At the bottom, below the title of the print is a long inscription in script which reads in its entirety, "L'image d'Alexandre Petion reparait aut milieu de son Tombeaux deux Faisceaux emblemes de l'Union de la famille Haitienne en soutiennent le Sarcophage deux de ses Soldats gardent ce monument consacre a la Posterite de la Liberte et l'Egalite s'emanent les Rayons de sa gloire la Justice et la constitution en ferment le foyer le Bas-relief du Tombeau represente le Temps qui console la Republique en lui montrant sur le Bouclier de Mars le nom de celui que ses enfans ont choisi pour presider desormais sa Felicite et son Bonheur."

There is no discernible information about the artist or the engraver. Since the margins around the print are quite narrow, it is possible that information was cut off to make the print fit a frame.

I find it a beautiful and intriguing print and wonder if you have encountered it previously in your study of Haiti. If not, could you perhaps refer me to someone who might be able to give me information about the print and the name of the printmaker? I would be happy to send digital images if you are interested.

Best regards,

Doug Haeuber
Princeton, New Jersey