30541: Lucien (reply) in reply to Durban30531: Roebling on Digicel prepayments (fwd)

Patrick Lucien patlucien@yahoo.com

Lance,
Unfortunately there are many Juniors in Haiti who have received an education and can not find a job, that's probably the biggest frustration of Haitian youth today, discouraged after all this effort. We go back to the basic need of job creation.

We have no way of controlling remittances from one family to another. Necessary remittance could only help if companies doing the wire transfer pay their taxes as they should and the tax money is use by the government to build infrastructure. I am not claiming that they donąt, I am just saying that this is how the government could use the tax collected from remittance for a specific purpose. Since the money is coming from the diaspora, maybe invest the money in something that will encourage the diaspora to either send more or invest in Haiti

An other alternative is to come up with ideas that can help families start small businesses in Haiti using the remittance money. Many in Haiti are so used to getting the cash money with no effort that it had become difficult to even encourage them to start a small business. We do not deny that people are in great need, but realistically, we all have to make the sacrifice of trying. We would be better off creating jobs and hiring our family members (then come the trust issue)

Patrick