30559: Tim Brothers--request for sources re Port au Prince (fwd)

Tim Brothers <tbrother@iupui.edu>

I am working with two colleagues on an interpretive atlas of Caribbean landscapes, to be published this summer/fall by Caribbean Studies Press. The "atlas" (based on satellite imagery rather than maps) will include a number of essays on Haiti, including, of course, one on Port-au-Prince. It is likely because I am not an expert on the urban geography of POP that I find little information on important details of the city's rapid expansion, including Cite Simone/Soleil, La Saline, the HASCO refinery, the planned workers' settlements (Cite no. 1, Cite no. 2) near the military airport, and the very recent shantytown on the mudflats just west of the main cemetery (this one does not have a name on the maps I have). I do believe I have most of the obvious sources, but I would appreciate suggestions of written information or contactable experts for these and other aspects of POP history in English, French, or Spanish.