30585:Arthur (announce) Haiti evening at the British Museum, London, UK (fwd)

From: haitisupport@gn.apc.org

The Atlantic Trade & Identity season at the British Museum features exhibitions,
displays and events exploring transatlantic trade and its relationship to
slavery, resistance and diasporas.

Don?t miss this related event:

Haiti evening

Friday 22 June, 18.30?20.30

An evening looking at the history of resistance in Haiti, from Toussaint
L?Ouverture to the recent upheavals. Readings from the play 'The Black
Jacobins', with the assistance of Talawa, will be followed by a screening of
'When I am Misery I Sing'. This award-winning documentary covers the weeks
surrounding President Aristide's departure, and the role that music played in
the uprising. It combines actual footage of the performers in action with
images of the unfolding rebellion, material shot by the 'rebels' themselves.

Atissou and Ifé, Haitian drummer and singer, will then present traditional
musical sets recalling the feelings and melancholy of the countryside of the
first black republic in the world.

£5, concessions £3, refreshments included

Screening in partnership with the Mosaïques Festival
Readings with the assistance of Talawa

Book tickets through the British Museum Box Office
+44 (0)20 7323 8181

British Museum, Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3DG
www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk
Tube: Tottenham Court Road, Holborn, Russell Square